Wednesday, August 6, 2014

My Comic(s) Life - Zero Year

My (Generally Non-Spoiler) Thoughts on Comics I'm Enjoying These Days
image
Okay, so I'm one of those guys that likes to have the entire story in hand before reading it, helps me keep track of the little things, the subplots, little reveals etc. With that being said, I've been chomping at the bit to finally get my hands on the complete Zero Year saga in the main Batman series.

First, in general, I've been loving the Snyder-Capullo team, and agree with what I've seen a lot in the media, collectively, its been one of the best runs on the series ever, and one of the highlights of the New 52. I think this is largely because you cannot look at this book and not see just how much fun this team is having on it. Props to Miki, Plascencia and Wands as well, because the entire team meshes well.

I like a lot about Zero Year, use of the major characters, the exploration of aspects of Bruce's past between the death of his parents and donning the cowl. My favorite thing in this flashback tale was Alfred, who shines here.

Now, yes, there is a really nice, big, uber story that keeps you on the edge of your seat, with classic and new villains. There are lots of little homages and salutes to classic Batman, right down to the little purple gloves he wore in his original appearances.

But for me, I most enjoyed some of the little character moments that bind all the bigger stuff together, the dramatic tensions between characters who love each other hit me far harder than the ones of those trying to outright kill each other. These were excellently written by Snyder, and beautifully breathed to life by Capullo.

And the ending... well that will rip your heart out despite knowing it was exactly how it had to be.