Tuesday, July 15, 2014

My Comic(s) Life

In my attempt to make this interesting and something folks will want to actually read and follow, figured I’d start posting some regular features. First up, quick bullet reviews of comics I read, overall and latest issues!

WARNING: I am a bit behind, so nothing will be so current folks haven’t had a chance to read it yet, and spoilers will be minimal and tagged when there.

So, last night was a catching up on DC night. I’ve not been as thrilled with the NEW 52 in general as I hoped I would be. Some of the books have been stellar, others hit or miss and some just can’t seem to find their direction and place. Here’s hoping they pull together and build something cool.

Aquaman #32 - one of the best of the New 52 IMHO have loved the whole series. They had some big shoes to fill but Jeff Parker and Paul Pelletier are really making their mark on this one! Check it out!

Green Lantern: New Guardians #32 - Have always loved Kyle Rayner, and glad to see him in a spotlight in the relaunch. Also like the new direction with the new little blue Guardians. They’ve been exploring some nice themes and doing solid character work.



Green Lantern: New Guardians #32 - Have always loved Kyle Rayner, and glad to see him in a spotlight in the relaunch. Also like the new direction with the new little blue Guardians. They’ve been exploring some nice themes and doing solid character work.


Green Lantern Corps #32 - I know folks have been mixed on the big creative team skake-up, but I’ve been enjoying the Uprising crossover, nice to see a more cohesive DC cosmic realm, with the aliens I love and remember from the old days. Would love to see more of the non-human GL’s move a little more into spotlights.

Larfleeze FINAL ISSUE #12 - This series I tried to enjoy, because I love the work of everyone attached. I don’t know, it had great moments, but a lot of stuff that just didn’t do it for me.

Red Lanterns #32 - I personally have liked this series much better since Guy Gardner stepped in. Overall, I feel like its been established that every corps, and every grouping within has to have a human leader, or key players are all human, but this is one I’m grateful. Charles Soule is a very solid writer who will be a giant in this industry, no doubts. His take on the personalities, and inner core workings of the RLs is very nice. And of course, J. Calafiore on art makes anything gorgeous. The series also is doing a solid job of building a larger storyline that has hooked me.

Sinestro #3 - Loving this series. Sinestro is a great character and its nice to see him in the spotlight. Cullen Bunn and Dale Eaglesham are doing great things with it. Art and story blends nicely, and they are also doing a good job of world-building to set up this series.

Supergirl #32 - This is one series I think has been struggling to find its voice, and it seems to keep shifting every 6-8 issues into whole new directions. The latest shift has been (SPOILER) Supergirl joining the Red Lanterns. I’ve liked moments in it, but it never really felt right, could just be me. (BIGGER SPOILER) Looks like as this arc wraps, she will be getting back to more familiar ground.

The Flash #32 - This was one of the best series of the new 52, with Francis Manapul and Brian Buccellatto, who made the jump to Detective Comics. Now, I don’t know, I’m hanging in and waiting to see. Current storyline (SPOILER) seems to be one of those time travel, alternate future thingies so trendy these days. We’ll see.

Alright, that wraps this first edition! Hope you like, like it and share it if you do.